- Eggs, 4
- Flour, 1 cup
- Sugar, almost 1 cup
- Vanilla, 1 tsp
- Milk, 1/8 cup
- Unsalted Butter, 1/3 stick
- Baking Powder, 1 tsp
1. Separate the egg yolks and whites.
2. Whip the egg yolkes with the sugar. Add the milk and butter. Continue whipping for another couple of minutes.
3. Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks. (It’s important that when you flip the bowl with egg whites, they don’t fall out or leak out. As soon as this stage is reached STOP WHIPPING.)
4. Add flower and baking powder to the egg yolk mixture. Mix well.
5. Gently fold in the egg whites.
6. Bake at 375F untill it’s golden on top and knife comes out clean (about 20 to 22 minutes).
7. It is important to cool the cake gradually. Shut off the oven and keep the cake in with the oven door open for 5 minutes and then take it out and put in a warm place. Once it’s lukewarm, no worries! Now it can be anywhere! Sometimes these butter sponge cakes fall if there is an extreme change in temp. This will not influence the taste, it will only change the texture a little bit, because the cake won’t have “pores”.
It is very important to soak the cake with a flavour you like. There are many options. Really anything will taste great!
1. Add 1 tbsp of sugar to 1 cup of milk. Warm the mixture up, then let it cool a little.
2. Alternatively, pou can take any fruit, add a little sugar and some water, and bring it to a boil to make a liquid jam. Or, you can take some jam and dilute it with water, bring to a boil, and cool it. The consistency should be water like.
ASSEMBLING THE CAKE
1. Cut the cake in half, so you will have two layers.
2. Add 1 tbsp of sugar to 1 cup of heavy cream. Whip to the consistancy of frosting.
3. Place one layer of the cake on a plate with the cut side up (it will soak the syrup faster). Distribute the syrup all around.
4. Put some cream on the first layer and bury some cut fruit in the cream.
5. Soak the second layer in syrup.
6. Put the second layer on top of the first. Add the rest of the cream topping. Decorate with fruit.
Let it rest for about 2 hours and enjoy!